A Twitter account for a police department has a pretty simple job: inform the public about dangerous emergencies, and communicate with the communities they serve. People follow police Twitter accounts simply to stay up-to-date on what’s happening in their town. They don’t follow police Twitter accounts to be entertained. But the folks who live in the cities of Lawrence, KS and Topeka, KS get the best of both worlds, because their local PD’s Twitter pages are informative and hilarious.
“What we have found is that using humor generates a lot more interest, generates a lot more replies and retweets and things like that if it’s funny,” said Public Affairs Officer Drew Fennelly, who runs the Lawrence PD’s Twitter account. “People don’t expect a police department to be funny.”
Both Twitter accounts share important information with their followers, but they also branch out and share “slice of life” moments that show what it’s like to be a police officer. The Lawrence PD recently live-tweeted a Seinfeldian road rage incident between two drivers in . parking lot who both refused to back up and give each other room to drive off.
Below are 15 of the funniest Tweets from the Lawrence and Topeka PDs. Law enforcement has never been this funny, at least not since Reno 911. (via Bored Panda).
2. They aren’t above poking fun at themselves.
3. A sobriety test we can all get behind.
4. Keeping it real.
5. Break the law in Lawrence and you’ll get arrested and roasted.
6. Lawrence is a college town. The PD sees a LOT of fake IDs.
7. Never a dull moment.
8. What do the kids say? Netflix and freeze?
9. Crime smarter, not harder.
10. Cops are just like you and me: they also judge terrible drivers.
11. Being cold is for mail carriers.
12. This is very similar to how they caught Walter White.
13. Winner of the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Police Poetry.
14. Don’t be like Carl.
15. When you’re a cop, you never know what you’re gonna find out there.
h/t: Bored Panda