There are some questions we’ll probably never know the answers to. Is there intelligent life on other planets? What existed before the Big Bang? And most unknowable of all, what in the hell were these 22 bands thinking when they made these album covers?
Sure, we can guess how these albums came to be so strange. Maybe the band came up with a terrible idea, and nobody talked them out of it. Maybe the band members just don’t know how to pose for a photo. Maybe the band members themselves are weirdos and the album art is simply accurate.
But these are only guesses. In the end, all we can do is admire them for their singular strangeness.
1. “A Taste of Dick Black”, Dick Black and His Band
Just a taste of Dick Black and then you’re hooked for life.
2. “My Beauty”, Kevin Rowland
You do you, Kevin.
3. “Country Church”, The Seltmann Family
They have all the classic gospel band archetypes: The Young Innocent One, The Cool Older Guy, The Bad Boy, The Woman, and The Barn.
4. “My Lips Are For Blowing”, Svetlana Gruebbersolvik
Apparently Svetlana’s country hasn’t discovered double-entendres.
5. “Satan Is Real”, The Louvin Brothers
What I’ve learned from looking at this album cover:
-Satan is a cartoon character.
-You can wear white linen suits in hell.
-Hell looks a lot like Cleveland.
6. “Untitled”, Maddy Genets & Ensemble
With some bands, it’s not just the music, it’s the showmanship.
7. “Song For Gay Dogs”, Paddy Roberts
We support dogs of all lifestyles, and any music they might want to listen to.
8. “Rat On!”, Swamp Dogg
Who knew Snoop Dogg has a brother?
9. “It’s Me, Mum!”, Wally Whyton
Mom’s response: tell Wally I’m not here.
10. “Hallelujah! The Lord’s Coming Again”, The Amason Twins
And so are we.
11. “Untitled”, Elna Fredhoy and Rigmor Odum
This is a Norwegian folk singing duo, not a poster for a forgotten 90’s comedy starring Dana Carvey.
12. “[Something in Serbian]”, Zivan Saramandic
I couldn’t figure out what the album title translates to, but I’m assuming it’s something like “Can someone tell me how to stop birds from nesting in my hair?”
13. “Lazno Je, Lazno, Sve Sto Je Tvoje”, Saveta Jovanovic
There’s a reason Saveta Jovanovic is known as the Yugoslavian Madonna.
14. “Come To My Party,” Mrs. Mills
Mrs. Mills throws the most legendary parties. We’re talking an endless supply of of Hydrox cookies, and don’t count on going to sleep before 9pm.
15. “Berrante Do Tempo”, Pedro Pinho and Paulo Pontes
This is the soundtrack for the acclaimed Turkish Star Wars, right?
16. “Aerobic Dancing”, Lionel Blair
Lionel will teach you how to dance, and give you the confidence to not worry about your balls popping out of your short-shorts.
17. “Push Push”, Herbie Mann
Herbie Mann is making me Uncomfortable Uncomfortable.
18. “Joyce”, Joyce
It’s just Joyce! What more do you need?
19. “Back To The S*@T!”, Millie Jackson
You know it’s a rough BM when you gotta take off one shoe.
20. “All My Friends Are Dead”, Freddie Gage
Maybe they died of embarrassment because you wore a white tie with a white shirt, Freddie.
21. “After Dark”, Fabio
Fabio has an album! Because who wouldn’t wanna hear the silly romance novel guy belt out some tunes? Makes total sense!
22. “I Love My Life”, Jim Post
Note to musicians out there: don’t shoot your album cover on a day when you’re clinically depressed.
h/t: Dangerous Minds