Like anything in life, traveling has its pros and cons. Sure, you get to experience a new place and meet people from a different culture. On the other hand, you’re foregoing many of the creature comforts that make life bearable. If you can’t take a long flight without the ability to binge watch several episodes of The Great British Baking Show, you might as well stay home.
But what if you could travel without sacrificing comfort? Turns out there are plenty of ways to make your experience more pleasurable. Even better, they cost next to nothing. In that spirit, here are 15 travel hacks to make your next trip just a bit more bearable.
1. Wrap the remote in a plastic trash can bag to protect against hotel cooties.
2. Use the ironing board to double your bathroom counter space.
3. Use a pill organizer to transport jewelry, tangle free.
4. When traveling internationally, don’t buy a bunch of adapters. Buy one adapter and bring a power strip.
5. Hotel room doesn’t have a toothbrush holder? Use a paper cup.
6. Don’t want to haul a garment bag for one shirt? Use a plastic folder to protect against wrinkles.
7. Hotel doesn’t have a nightstand? Just make a fold in your sheet.
8. If you’re the type to always forget your charger in the hotel room, attach your keys to the charger.
Now you can forget your charger and your keys!
9. On shorter trips, a contact lens case makes a handy miniature cosmetics holder.
10. The hotel sink makes a handy second ice bucket.
11. Stash your cash in an empty Chap Stick tube while sightseeing.
12. Hotel room doesn’t have a bottle opener? Use that metal thing above the door.
That metal thing is actually called a “door closer.” The more you know…
13. If your hotel curtains don’t fully close, use a hanger with clips.
14. Wanna watch a movie on the plane? Toss your phone in a plastic bag and hang it off the back of the seat in front of you.
15. A crumpled up soda can will also do the trick.