The world can often feel like an unfriendly place. Just spend a few minutes stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, or jockeying with other shoppers during a Labor Day Sale and you might conclude that everyone is a self-interested jerk who’ll happily screw you over to get what they want.
And yes, the world is full of selfish people. But it’s also full of Good Samaritans who will stop and help out a complete stranger. In fact, there’s a whole subreddit devoted to just this subject called r/MadeMeSmile. There, people share stories and photos of selfless people doing altruistic things, and it’s become one of the most popular subreddits on the whole site.
Below are 15 stories about people who stepped in and helped out someone who needed it. Hopefully it’ll renew your faith in the world, and maybe even inspire you to do a good deed yourself! Remember, folks: we’re all stuck on this planet together.
1. Digging your car out of a blizzard is never fun. Luckily, this guy has a good neighbor.
2. This person was practicing their ukulele on the porch, unaware they had an audience.
3. Most of us wouldn’t turn our car into a private shuttle service. Not this guy.
4. This subway musician plays for tips, but he doesn’t always keep them for himself.
5. Imagine returning to your car and learning you just got new tires.
6. If a pregnant lady asks you for ANYTHING, you give it to her. Even if she’s never met.
7. This person forgot to close their sunroof during a rain storm. A Good Samaritan had them covered.
8. A girl had nowhere to practice shooting hoops. Until she asked her neighbors.
9. Be friendly, because you never know when you’ll meet a new friend.
10. During Hurricane Irma, this man was about to buy the last generator. Instead, he gave it to this woman who needed it for her father’s oxygen supply.
11. This Redbox renter was looking out for the next customer.
12. One Redditor saw an elderly guy hoping for someone to play chess with. And the universe delivered.
13. A couple had a rough dinner out with crying baby twins. When the went to pay the bill, somebody had already taken care of it.
14. Can’t tie a necktie? No problem.
15. Robert Frost said that good fences make good neighbors. But this time it was the other way around.