As far as dog breeds go, Great Danes are definitely unique. First, the obvious: they’re huge. The average male Great Dane is about 30 inches tall and weighs between 140 and 175 pounds. The world’s tallest dog ever, Zeus, was a Great Dane, and he stood at a towering 44 inches from his paws to his shoulders. These are dogs that were bred for hunting, so powerful that they could chase and pin down wild boars. For thousands of years, that’s what they were used for.
Given how huge they are, you might think Great Danes would have a fearsome reputation. In fact, it’s the opposite. Great Danes are known for being friendly, excitable lugs who often don’t realize their own size and strength–that’s pretty much the whole basis of the comic strip Marmaduke.
When you combine a charming personality with the body the size of a small horse, it’s easy to see why the American Kennel Association ranks the Great Dane as the 14th most popular dog breed. But words just don’t do these big guys and gals justice! It’s a lot easier to fall in love with them if you look at some pictures. Luckily, Great Dane owners have been sharing their gigantic pals’ most goofy and lovable moments online, and we’ve got 15 of them right here for you. (via Bored Panda)
1. Just popping in for a visit.
2. When it comes to friendship, size doesn’t matter.
3. Stranger danger!
4. They’re even ginormous as puppies. This one is fourteen weeks old.
5. Sometimes, they think they’re lapdogs.
6. Size of a human hand vs. size of a 4-month-old Great Dane’s paw.
7. “Lemme just drink a quick gallon.”
8. Gene Simmons is so jealous.
9. Anything is a seat if you’re big enough!
10. Halloween is a no-brainer.
11. On hot days, they might melt.
12. Guess that couch is his now.
13. They’re the perfect nap time companion.
14. Where’s the saddle?
15. You can definitely tell these dogs were once owned by royalty.
h/t: Bored Panda