In the last couple decades, the world has gotten much safer for kiddos. Today, there are countless child safety products, everything from car seats to baby gates. You can even buy knee pads to protect your baby while she crawls!
Depending on your point of view, all these safety changes have either made the world a better place for small children, or they’ve created a whole generation of weaklings. But what’s not up for debate is the fact that in the past, parents were way more casual about safety and protection.
Below is a collection of photos of old school parents who aren’t afraid to expose their kids to a little danger. Sure, if you pulled some of these stunts today you’d probably get arrested. But since they’ve already happened decades ago, we can all have a chuckle about them now. We’re just glad everyone turned out OK. (via Bored Panda)
1. Ice, Ice Baby: the 1937 edition.
2. Babysitter, shmabysitter.
3. You’re never too young to be a patriot.
4. Unwinding after a long day of playing with blocks. (1958)
5. If you’re afraid of heights, you may wanna scroll past this one.
6. “I didn’t have a ramp for my BMX bike. So my Mom was the ramp.”
7. In 1958, car safety seats weren’t strapped to anything. It was the driver’s job was to stop the baby from flying forward.
8. “My 13 year old Dad having a taste while the grownups played cards. (1954)
9. “Back in 1991 I was your typical Aussie kid, drinking XXXXlight beer and holding a baby crocodile.”
10. A 1930’s swimming lesson.
11. “It’s totally safe. We loaded him up with tranquilizers!”
12. “In 1972, my parents took me to a California marijuana initiative. This was their idea of a stroller.”
13. “My Mom, after giving birth to my sister in 1978, enjoying roasted chicken and smokes. In the hospital.”
14. “My hilarious father with his uncle and grandparents at his Bar Mitzvah, 1972.”
15. Princess Yvonne and Prince Alexander, 1955
h/t: Bored Panda