Why do we go to the beach? For most of us, it’s relaxation. For others, the beach is also a great place for exercise–running, surfing, volleyball, and more! Sometimes the beach is a place to let loose and partay. Or maybe you just need to get rid of a guy who informed on the mob. All are equally valid.
But an underrated reason to hit the seashore is to see something you’ve never seen before. The beach is right next to the ocean, (obviously), and the ocean is a repository of all manner of strange wonders. Horrors from the deep! Strange and beautiful geological formations! Treasures washed up from unlucky seafarers! All of it can wash up on your local beach.
Check out 15 things that made the beach a whole lot more interesting. (via Bored Panda)
1. A stack of pianos at low tide.
2. A P-38 Lightning from World War II.
3. Shark teeth after six hours of searching on Folly Beach, South Carolina.
4. A piece of glacial ice.
5. A winter village “sandcastle” in Tel Aviv.
6. An actual message in the bottle. (Which is really more sweet than weird.)
7. A giant squid.
8. A bottle of Smile soda from 1922.
9. A piece of seaweed that drew concentric circles in the sand as it rotated in the wind.
10. A rock-within-a-rock.
11. A whale’s spine. (Or possibly a giant’s.)
12. A whale’s skull. (Or possibly Cthulhu’s.)
13. A mannequin head covered in goose barnacles.
14. An entire watch repair kit from the 1970s.
15. A kilo of cocaine, estimated street value of $150,000. (Yes, it was turned in to the authorities.)
h/t: Bored Panda