It’s hard enough to open a restaurant, but opening a restaurant where a majority of people don’t speak your language adds a whole extra layer of difficulty. Names are notoriously difficult to translate, and the names of food are no different. This is why many restaurant menus are full of items that sound totally fine in their native language, but when they’re translated into English, they become nonsense.
Below via Bored Panda, you can check out 15 menu mistranslations that might not sound appetizing, but definitely still liven up mealtime.
And hey, this is all in good fun, but remember: If you opened a BBQ place in Shanghai, there’s a good chance the locals would be laughing at your “steamed werewolf with diced sadness and beans.”
1. If you can’t pay your bill, you’re on the menu.
2. A great way to recycle your iPad 2.
3. I detect hints of basil, lemongrass, and Tide Pods.
4. Sorry, what kind of restaurant did you say this was?
5. It’s the one dish that can’t be screwed up!
6. I have to think the health department would have an issue with this.
7. At least they’re honest.
8. Anyone can edit this dish.
9. Hey, that’s what happens if you don’t grow enough cabbages.
10. So that’s what happened to Ariel.
11. This was the original name for Domino’s.
12. Is it possible to give yourself indigestion?
13. Just throw whatever you got into the skillet.
14. This is also what got me kicked off Top Chef.
15. Sometimes, the best move is just giving up.
h/t: Bored Panda