3D printing a process where materials, often plastic or metal, are molded by a computer into, you guessed it, a 3D object. But when you look at some of the things 3D printers can make, it might as well be magic. And 3D printing itself hasn’t existed very long! It’s been around since the 80’s, available to consumers since the 90’s, and in just a few decades people have come up with some amazing stuff.
Here are 15 folks who came up with creative uses for a 3D-printer. Some of their designs are practical, others are more artistic, but they’re all impressive. They’re modern-day wizards. (via Bored Panda.)
1. 3D paintings so the blind can “see” classical art.
2. A replacement shell for an injured tortoise.
3. A new way to set a broken leg–that you can take into the shower!
4. A violin.
5. A see-through prosthetic leg.
6. A chess set.
7. A fun luggage tag.
8. A walker for a legless dog.
9. An Iron Man suit. (Not operational, thankfully.)
10. A T-Rex shower head.
11. “My friend made a copy of his own face for Halloween.”
12. A reconstructed beak for a toucan.
13. A 1:1 scale, fully operational BB-8, for an engineering thesis.
14. Covers that turn old plastic bottles into flower vases.
15. The only doorstop you’ll ever need.
h/t: Bored Panda