What do most of us non-Belgians think of when we think of Belgium? Waffles, obviously. Perhaps you might also associate Belgium with some of the best beer in the world, or with French fries coated in mayonnaise. Turning away from food, you might think of Belgium as the capital of the European Union. Or its status as the home of the world’s greatest martial arts hero, Jean Claude Van Damme.
But there’s another reason the European nation of 11 million citizens is becoming famous: it’s also home to some seriously ugly houses. Belgian blogger Hannes Coudenys has been documenting them since 2012. His Instagram account, the appropriately named Ugly Belgian Houses, has racked up almost 60,000 followers by sharing his country’s biggest eye sores. Sure, some of these houses are more ugly-beautiful than ugly-ugly, but there are plenty of absolute wrecks on offer, too.
Check out 15 of the most hideous Flemish houses! (That’s another word for “Belgian.”) (via Bored Panda)
3. Pretty sure a vampire lives here. (Or a mole person!)
4. I hate when the contractor forgets to build a roof.
5. Art trivia: Picasso also had a brief career as an architect.
6. According to their prenup, his ex received exactly 42.8% of the house.
7. This architecture style is known as “Modern Flintstone.”
8. Property values always go down whenever a pharaoh moves into the neighborhood.
9. This house was featured in Better Homes & Bunkers.
10. Every time you ring the doorbell, the house crashes.
11. Grumpy Cat: The House
12. If you can’t decide on one house style, just compromise!
13. Be right back, I’m going to check the malebox.
14. If you’re under 6’5″, you’re not welcome here.
h/t: Bored Panda