Churches are always looking to add new members, and for many churches, the best way to do that is with an old-school marquee sign. You just put up a welcoming message, add a brief Bible quote, maybe tell everyone when the pancake prayer breakfast is, and bingo. Just sit back and watch the new members roll in.
But there will always be churches that take the road less traveled. Today we’ve got a selection of church signs that weren’t afraid to try out some comedy on the general public. Some of them are genuine laughers, others will have you wondering if Father Mike has been hitting the communion wine, but all of them get kudos for trying.
1. At least they’re honest.
2. If you screw up God’s preferred trail mix ratio, you will burn in hell for eternity.
3. Ever been slut shamed by a sign? Now you have!
4. Nothing’s funnier than forced religious conversion.
5. Please don’t try to help, St. John’s Anglican.
6. This is what happens when nobody refills Pastor Joel’s Prozac.
7. And this is what happens when you put the youth minister in charge of the sign.
8. Who says denying scientific fact has to be so serious?
9. I…can’t figure out what they’re trying to say.
10. “Actually, I was praying for cocaine. Sorry, shoulda specified.”
11. No one at St. James Presbyterian questioned this?
12. “I know, let’s scold distracted drivers with our distracting church sign!”
13. This metaphor is so tortured, it violates the Geneva Convention.
14. Even church sign writers get writers’ block.
15. Topical! (In 2006)
16. Wednesday night is Bible Study, but cringe-worthy signs are seven days of the week.
h/t: So Bad So Good