For lots of people, marriage is a pretty good deal. By tying the knot, you’re signing up for a lifetime of love, companionship, and intimacy. But no matter how romantic you and your partner are, your marriage will feature many, many more moments that aren’t so romantic.
Because when you get a spouse, you’re also getting a firsthand witness to all the unflattering aspects of your personality. Like your moments of utter stupidity. Or your totally illogical neuroses. Or just how you’re an utter slob.
And you know what? That stuff can only strengthen a marriage. Because even though your partner has all the dirt on you, they still love you in spite of it. Now that’s romance!
Here are 15 Tweets about that aren’t afraid to get real about married life. Enjoy!
1. A spouse is a partner and a competitor.
2. The bar for “cool” gets a lot lower.
3. Only your partner knows how dumb you really are.
4. Sometimes, all you need is a little provocation.
5. Marriage can be a lot like a spy movie.
6. You’ll develop your own version of telepathy.
7. The secret to a happy marriage isn’t communication. It’s hating the same people.
8. How far will you go to prove a point? This far?
9. It’s important to have your own lives, and NEVER let them overlap.
10. A good partner always looks out for you.
11. Happiness is being married to your best friend/worst enemy.
12. Christmas, for married people.
13. Watch out for emotional whiplash.
14. Couples finish each other’s sentences. Married people finish each other’s arguments.
15. The pickle compatibility test.
h/t: The Chive