If you’re like me, you almost never feel like you get enough sleep. And we’re not alone! According to a 2016 report by the Centers for Disease Control, 34.8 percent of Americans get less than the recommended 7 hours of sleep per night. That’s over 86 million people who are chronically sleep deprived. Not getting enough sleep leads to all sorts of health problems, but in a day-to-day sense it leaves you tired and less able to function.
There are lots of reasons why people can’t or don’t get a full night’s rest. For me, it’s because I have a weird work schedule, and because I have a brain that loves to wait until after midnight to get fascinated with life’s great mysteries. (Like why Goofy, a dog, can walk and talk while Pluto, also a dog, cannot.) Other people might lose sleep to stress, medical conditions, too much caffeine, too much screen time at night, or they just don’t prioritize a good night’s rest–and we haven’t even mentioned brand new parents.
If insomnia is a regular part of your life, you’ll definitely relate to these 15 Tweets. Just try not to read them at bedtime!
1. Your brain is your own worst enemy.
2. Or your brain is a wannabe philosopher.
3. You’re tired ALL day. But when night rolls around…
4. When you know exactly what the problem is…but you still don’t fix it.
5. Babies need 13-17 hours of sleep a day. Jealous?
6. Your internal clock is always set to a different time zone.
7. How can something you do every day be so difficult?!
8. The future is going to be amazing for sleep.
9. How many hours of sleep do you need to feel great? Trick question.
10. Insomnia is the budget version of multiple personality disorder.
11. Your fantasies are a bit more manageable.
12. What your brain is actually doing as you lie awake.
13. Sometimes it feels like The Sandman’s been drinking on the job.
14. If you’re an insomniac, sound sleepers are your superheroes.
15. But there’s always a silver lining if you look hard enough.