Wedding cakes have been around since at least the days of Ancient Rome. (Fun fact: Roman wedding “cakes” were just hard loaves of barley bread, and would be smashed over the bride’s head for good luck.) For most of history a wedding cake was a status symbol. The bigger and more elaborate your cake, the wealthier you were.
But today, we think of wedding cakes differently. In recent years people have been ordering custom wedding cakes to reflect their personalities. From obscure pop culture characters to guts and gore, it’s never been a better time to confuse your extended family.
1. Jabba the Cake
2. You’ll be craving another slice of this cake one hour later.
3. You may now eat the bride.
4. Wonder how they met.
5. File this under “Jobs I hope I never have.”
6. Featuring a lemon cake with tick-flavored filling.
7. If I’m this groom, there’s no way I’m signing a prenup.
8. Marriage is hard, much like old school Donkey Kong.
9. In space no one can hear you eat cake.
10. “What if the wedding cake were also a fish tank,” is what happens when you plan a wedding on LSD.
11. “Hon, did you forget to order the wedding cake?” “Absolutely not! Now, I need to run to the grocery store for an entirely unrelated reason.”
12. This is the Criss Angel of wedding cakes. #Mindfreak
13. Something tells me this was a no kids wedding.
14. Someone’s a fan of the French Revolution.
15. And finally, this one’s actually a birthday cake, but it’s easily the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.