Besides to giving birth, or buying and assembling an Ikea dresser, the first day of school is pretty much the most exhausting experience a human being goes through.
It’s a big deal! Your whole daily routine is disrupted. You have to go to a weird building and learn strange concepts like “math.” You’re forced to interact with people you wouldn’t otherwise be caught dead with. I definitely would not trade places with any kid.
In recent years, parents have updated the traditional “first day of school” photo by taking a second photo of their child upon returning home from school. The contrast is clear–and hilarious.
The whole thing really does a number on you.
1. “Hello darkness, my old friend.”
2. “They gave me a cubby hole. I am NOT ready for that kind of responsibility!”
3. “I need a juice box, man.”
4. “They made me…learn the alphabet!”
5. You’re never too young for an existential crisis.
6. When your parents take you out for a celebratory dinner, but all you wanna do is sleep.
7. When nap time just cannot come soon enough.
8. For some kids, even the beginning of the first day of school is rough.
9. Going back for day two can be just as hard as coming home from day one.
10. For older kids, the first day back from summer vacation is tough, too.
11. “Maybe if I just hide under my backpack, they can’t take me to school.”
12. This little dude couldn’t even make it through his first day of school.
13. “There are HOW many more days of this? But I can’t even count that high!”
14. First day of school + long car ride home = nap town.
15. Rest up. You’re gonna need it.
h/t: Bored Panda