When you’re a kid, movies are magic. And you believe some really weird stuff about the films you see. Buzzfeed asked their community what funny/weird/bizarre things they believed about movies when they were young.
These are some doozies.
1. “I thought that whenever you watched a movie, the actors were performing live. I felt bad about watching a movie more than once because I thought I was overworking the actors.”
2. “When people died in movies, I thought they died in real life. I remember watching a war movie and being impressed by the dedication of the actors who were dying.”
3. “Nic Cage had me fooled with the National Treasure movies. My teachers would play them during class, so I thought they legit happened and were based on true stories.”
4. “When I saw The Princess Diaries I was so impressed with how well Mia’s makeover went, because I assumed Anne Hathaway was naturally the ‘before’ picture and the filmmakers just got lucky that she cleaned up well.”
5. “Because of Toy Story, I used to think that my dolls, stuffed animals, and toys could move whenever I wasn’t looking.”
6. “I used to think that people could hang out with cartoons in real life, like they did in Space Jam and Mary Poppins.”
7. “When I first watched Tangled I actually thought that if you cut your hair it would turn a different color. I was convinced that my brown hair would turn black.”
8. “When movies had flashbacks to when a character was a kid, I thought they filmed everything when the actor was actually that age and then had to wait until they got older to finish filming.”
9. “When I was little I thought that if two people got married in a movie, they immediately became married in real life.”
10. “As a kid I confused Mount Richmore from Richie Rich with the actual Mount Rushmore. When my parents told me otherwise, I was still certain that the presidents on Mount Rushmore were carved by lasers.”
11. “I used to think movies had to be made in the decade they took place in, so My Girl and Dazed and Confused had to be filmed in the ’70s.”
12. “For the longest time, I thought the actress who played Selena’s killer in the movie Selena was the one who killed her in real life, so I hated that actress for so long and wondered why she wasn’t in prison.”
13. “When I was a kid I thought that when actors kissed each other they had to have plastic wrap on their lips so their lips didn’t actually touch and it’d be sanitary.”
14. “I used to think the bears in The Country Bears were real, and I was completely shocked when I realized that talking/musical bears weren’t a thing.”