For lots of us, seeing certain objects reminds us of visiting our grandparents. Maybe you’re in a doctor’s waiting room and spot a porcelain candy dish that’s just like the one where your grandparents kept the Werther’s originals. Or maybe you’re in the grocery store and spot a blue tin of Danish Butter cookies, same as the one where your grandma stowed her sewing gear.
But few things evoke a visit to our grandparents’ house quite like a gloriously hideous couch. It might have been in fashion in the distant past, but its orange plaid upholstery means it won’t match with anything, and the sight of it probably causes migraines.
Today, we’re giving these furniture eyesores the appreciation they deserve. Check out this gallery of wonderfully butt-ugly couches from the 1970’s that’ll put you right back at Nana and Pop Pop’s.
1. Plaid To Meet You
2. Flower Power
3. Put a bird on it.
4. It’s like a painting you can sit on.
5. 1970’s couch spawning grounds
7. Don’t forget about the abstract designs!
8. Orange Crush
9. It’s almost time to watch Hee Haw.
10. Your barn door’s open.
11. Beige plaid and lime green, together at last.
12. Aggressively floral
13. This one is almost the same as the inside of Will’s jacket on Fresh Prince of Bel Air.
14. The nice thing is, the baby can spit up on that couch and nobody would ever know.
15. Take a load off, Grandma and Grandpa.
h/t: Vintage Everyday