Being a bridesmaid is definitely an honor, but it’s not without its downsides. Specifically, there’s a very good chance you’ll have to wear a dress you wouldn’t otherwise be caught dead in. Maybe it’s in a color you hate, or maybe the cut is completely unflattering to your figure, or maybe the bride wants you to dress up like a literal Disney princess. Whatever the reason, you’re in for a several uncomfortable hours of bridesmaid duty.
But even the worst bridesmaid dress is still better than what they had to wear 30 or 40 years ago. Back then, bridesmaid dresses were turned up to 11–so gaudy, so puffy, so much polyester. Check out these 15 vintage bridesmaid dresses, (via Bored Panda), and suddenly your frilly neon orange monstrosity won’t look so bad.
1. How many poor drapes gave their lives for this to happen?
2. They wanted to save money by wearing their nightgowns.
3. These dresses double as hypothermia blankets.
4. The flower girl’s face says it all.
5. What fashion icon does every woman want to emulate? Santa Claus, obviously.
6. Don’t look at this if you have a pollen allergy.
7. Each bridesmaid has several smaller bridesmaids inside her.
8. The nice thing about buying a parasol is how often you use it in everyday life.
9. A doomsday cult called. They want their uniforms back.
10. Taken moments before they got a cease & desist from the Chiquita Banana company.
11. Pastel should be illegal.
12. So THAT’s what Christmas looks like at Prince’s house.
13. A Midsummer Night’s Nightmare
14. Warning: dresses may induce vomiting.
15. Luckily, everyone in this photo was on so many drugs, they forgot this ever happened.
h/t: Bored Panda