Nobody likes going to the hospital. According to my unscientific survey of people’s least favorite places to be, the hospital ranks right below the DMV and right above a sewage treatment plant during a heatwave.
And the reasons why nobody likes the hospital should be obvious. If you’re sick, you’re already miserable. If you’re just visiting, the hospital is a smelly, uncomfortable place where someone you care about is miserable. And if you work at a hospital, you’re surrounded by miserable people all day long. Basically, if you’re anywhere near a hospital, you’re probably not having a good time.
But as with most difficult things in life, a great way to deal with the hospital is with a sense of humor. Below, (via Bored Panda), check out 15 photos that show people finding a way to laugh despite trying circumstances. Whether it’s a doctor who manages to make patients crack a smile with a silly joke or a patient who’s just making the best of it, you’ll see why people say laughter is the best medicine.
1. Doctor’s notes don’t have to be boring.
2. Nurses have the best stories. But they’re not for the squeamish.
Photo Credit: Reddit
3. How much does it hurt, on a scale of one to bear attack?
4. “My wife is having a natural birth with no meds. Here’s our pain management plan.”
5. This E.R. sees a LOT of fishing injuries.
6. This fertility clinic has a spunky way of decorating the Christmas tree.
7. “I work in an operating room and we had a face painter come into work. This is what the patients saw as they came out of anesthesia.”
8. “I had my leg amputated. My brother visited me dressed as a pirate.”
9. “Had to get my blood drawn today. This was on the wall at the lab.”
10. Vasectomies are no fun…so make your own fun!
11. Nothing cuts the tension of a weigh-in like a good joke.
12. This doctor has heard ALL the Sonic the Hedgehog jokes.
13. “My grandma has three broken ribs and still knows how to keep her spirits up during hard times.”
14. “After crushing and fracturing his finger, this is how my boyfriend passed the time at the E.R.”
15. This children’s hospital patient is your new hero.
h/t: Bored Panda