Fixing up your own home or apartment, man, that’s a good feeling. Not only do you get to save money, you get the satisfaction of knowing you can take care of things yourself. One time I unclogged the sink with a plumbing awl, and I felt like such a DIY wizard that I showed my friends videos of the event for weeks. (Side note: this is also a good way to shed excess friends.)
So, when something around the house breaks, it’s understandable to want to get in there and fix it yourself.
But some jobs are clearly meant for professionals, and today we’ve got a collection of photos from people who were a bit out of their depth. Best case, they wound up with an eyesore that hopefully earned them well-deserved ridicule from their loved ones. Worst case, they turned their home into a death trap.
Let’s all remember to be careful before tackling our next DIY project. And definitely look up some Youtube tutorials first.
1. No frat house is complete without this one.
2. Toilet not secured to the wall? Duct tape to the rescue.
3. “Those are load-bearing books.”
4. Gear shift broke off? No problemo.
5. “Hire a contractor? Pffft, I’ll tile the sink myself.”
Side note: I have laid down tile myself and it is much, much harder than it looks.
6. “Son, you’ll be sharing your bed now.”
7. They’ve gotten a few too many traveling sales people.
8. At least it’ll lower the electric bill.
9. “I call middle of the couch.”
10. They’re not just for Christmastime any more.
11. No chair deserves this life.
12. “I guess I can go the rest of my life without using a spoon.”
13. Power adapters are for SUCKERS!
14. “I don’t need to measure the TV stand.”
15. And finally, waterslide schmaterslide