It’s such a common sight that it’s a cliche: a dog and their owner that look strikingly alike, and might even have similar personalities. Maybe it’s a bulldog and a jowly gentleman of advanced years, or a labradoodle that always matches her owner’s perm. but it’s actually backed up by science. In a 2009 study, psychologist Sadahiko Nakajima found that people were able to identify dog-owner combinations with about 80% accuracy.
But if you’re not convinced by science, maybe photography will sway you. Gerrard Gethings is a UK-based animal photographer who often photographs house pets. “My subjects are complex and characterful creatures, full of pathos, humour and unpredictability,” he writes on his website. “I want them to appear epic. For me, a domestic pet is no less beautiful or majestic than a wild animal.”
It’s this fascination with pets that inspired his latest project, a memory card game called Do You Look Like Your Dog?. The game challenges players to match dogs with pictures of their owners based on how closely they look alike–and it helps that Gethings managed to photograph the dogs in similar poses.
1. François and Antoine (French Bulldog)
2. Henry and Hope (Afghan Hound)
3. Charlotte and Casper (Chinese Crested)
4. Monica and Reggie (Chow Chow)
5. Amelia and Artemis (Standard Poodle)
6. Siobhan and Rusty (Irish Setter)
7. Sergei and Spike (Siberian Husky)
8. Cenk and Horst (Schnauzer)
9. Harry and Hattie (Italian Spinone)
10. Elle and Ralph (Hungarian Puli)
11. Jessica and Buddy (Bichon Frise)
12. Benji and Harper (Schnoodle)
13. Sarah and Bruno (Bedlington Terrier)
14. Pete and Pixie (Cocker Spaniel)
14. Unnamed–but you can buy the game and find out!
h/t: Bored Panda